Wednesday, January 16, 2013

01/16/13


Don't watch YouTube for video of med procedures.  That's the same as saying, "Don't go to WebMD because it only leads to cancer."

Monday night, I knew better but I watched a video of the EVLA procedure I was going to have done.  I had read up about it.  I knew in the written word what the procedure would entail, but I wanted to see it.  It looked weird. I think the part that freaked me out was knowing that I would be awake while they shoved this tiny thin wiry looking thing up my leg.

My dad picked me up yesterday at 6:30.  I was taken back to a room in the doctor's office at 8 AM.  My CNA, Diane, and I started off the day with laughs.

Diane:  How are you today?  Are you ready to get the party started?
Me (hesitant):  I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

Me:  Oh, I watched a YouTube clip last night.  It looked weird.
Diane:  OOOOOH, you're one of those?!  *laughter*
Me:  I knew better, but I did it anyway.
Diane:  Well, don't you worry.  We'll show you it's nothing like that video.  The worst part will be the shots and you'll get a funny taste in your mouth when the laser starts.  You just have to tell us what that taste is. 

She told me to undress, below the waist.  Put on the gown, booties and my lovely bouffant cap.  She came back in and put a topical numbing cream on my leg.  It sat for about 15 minutes.

They took me in the laser room. She and the surg tech lady, Cathy, started the prep and draping my leg.  Prep time took the longest.  The actual procedure was 15 minutes at most.  Diane and Cathy eased my nerves.  Dr. George walked me through every step.  We listened to good 80s tunes.

Dr. George:  How are you doing up there?  Are you ok?
Me:  I'm doing fine.  The shots are indeed the worst.  I'm just trying to remember to breath.
Cathy:  I'll grab your toe to distract you every time there's going to be a new stick.

Oddly, that helped.  A few minutes later...

They were right... The shots of lidocaine to numb my leg were the most painful part.  The first one was a doozy - a very high concentrated dose.  It stung.  There were like 6-7 more up the leg. I felt the initial puncture for the catheter to the vein but I couldn't feel the catheter being inserted into my leg. 
Dr. George:  How are you now?
Me:  I'm just fine - I'm just lounging while you do your thing.
Dr. George:  Good, because we have the catheter inserted and are starting the laser.

About a minute later
Me:  garlicky broccoli - that's the flavor in my mouth.

I proceeded to watch some of the procedure on the screen, but mostly just laid back and shut my eyes.  I expected to be here for 2 to 2 1/2 hours...  I was done in 1 and 1/2 hours.  By 9:30, my dad and I were back in the car.  


We had to go get a pain pill prescription filled. I walked around as I was told to do - to avoid blood clots.  I've been alternating between walking around the house, doing some household duties, sitting and elevating, watching some TV, doing another walk through the house, elevating more and working on crafts, and popping the occasional Aleve and pain med to keep it in my system.  Once the numbing meds started to wear off, the discomfort I feel was exactly what was described - a little bit of throbbing/pressure and a feeling of a stretchy rubber band.

Oh, and I'm wearing a one leg compression hose chap, that I can't take off for 3 days/nights.  It's oh so sexy. I can't shower until Friday.  So, whore bath, it is.  HAHAHA! (Sorry for my vulgarity).   I have a follow up appt on Friday, which I can shower beforehand, but then I have to put this damn compression chap back on.  After Friday, I'll only have to wear it during the day.  


Most importantly, the pain I've been feeling will be gone much before the veins - I should feel these changes in the next two weeks.  It will take about 2-3 months for all the veins to disappear. By spring, I should be good to go --I can't wait to even feel comfortable wearing capris all day too!  


It really was not a bad process, but I also psyched myself out a bit because I watched the video.  Sometimes you just don't know what is going to happen.  But I made it home, safe, resting, walking slowly to protect my legs from clots.  No vigorous activity for two weeks per leg (right leg happens on the 29th).  




No comments:

Post a Comment